Negative Emissions Reading List
Hi! I’ve seen various people ask for a list of resources to start learning about climate and negative emissions. Here’s a quick list, certainly incomplete.
These resources have helped me (@orbuch) start learning about the field over the last few months, and while I can’t vouch for them all personally, they’re a helpful overview. Please feel free to send me suggested additions!
Overview reports (these are a great place to start):
- National Academies of Sciences:
- Negative Emissions Technologies and Reliable Sequestration: A Research Agenda (2019)
- IOP Environmental Research Letters:
- Negative emissions—Part 1: Research landscape and synthesis
- Negative emissions—Part 2: Costs, potentials and side effects
- Negative emissions—Part 3: Innovation and upscaling
- European Academies Science Advisory Council:
- Negative emission technologies: What role in meeting Paris Agreement targets? (2018)
- AR5 Synthesis Report - Climate Change 2014
- Visual feature: The Emissions Gap Report 2019
- Carbon180's New Carbon Economy Report
- Editorial: The Role of Negative Emission Technologies in Addressing Our Climate Goals
- Engineered CO2 Removal, Climate Restoration, and Humility
- Getting To Neutral: Options for Negative Carbon Emissions in California (heads up, it's a big PDF)
- World Resources Institute Report Series: CarbonShot: Creating Options for Carbon Removal at Scale in the United States
- When are negative emissions negative emissions?
- Adam Marblestone’s Climate Technology Primer (Part 1, Part 2, Part 3).
- Michael Neilsen’s notes on DAC
Below are less focused on negative emissions specifically, but good overall primers:
- Erika Reinhardt’s data-driven guide to personal climate action
- Ramez Naam’s How to decarbonize America — and the world
Statistical overview + cool interactive charts:
- Our World In Data has a great page, by Hannah Ritchie and Max Roser
- Jennifer Wilcox (she literally wrote the book on carbon capture)
- Phil Renforth
- David Keith
- Klaus Lackner
- Julio Freedman
- Prof Katherine Hayhoe’s Twitter List of climate folks
- Michael Neilsen’s Twitter List of climate folks
- I made a (certainly incomplete) Twitter list of folks working on or writing about negative emissions -- please send suggestions and I’ll happily add to it!
- Frontiers In Climate: Negative Emissions Technologies (edited by Jennifer Wilcox and Phil Renforth, among others)
Bret Victor’s What can a technologist do about climate change? A personal view.
Jason Jacobs Podcast: https://www.myclimatejourney.co
Stripe’s negative emissions blogpost has some good links (disclosure: I work on this)